Using Koji for building Extras

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 19:21:53 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 14:50:39 Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > While we don't feel comfortable with the build resources to move Core
> > over to koji, we obviously have enough resources to build Extras.
>
> Hm, in terms of package numbers inside one arch, Extras devel is over twice
> the size of Core devel.  Just curious what makes Core's build resource
> demands obviously higher than Extras'?  More archs, more big packages to
> build?

Mostly more big packages to build and more often.  Extras lacks fun things
like kernel, glibc, gcc, openoffice.org, kdebase, etc...  It's not unusual to
see many of these hit the buildsystem during the same day, and given that
each take upwards to 12 hours to build, that can cause quite the delay in
other builds happening.

> > What do you all think of this plan, or the idea in general of getting
> > Extras to use Koji now, while we wait for more hardware to be able to
> > merge in Core?
>
> Hard to say; what does moving to koji mean for the Joe Average packager,
> and is there something in it that is required ASAP and plague doesn't do?

Not required, however I'd like to get real world load on it and push the issue
for getting software written around it.  For Joe Average packager, not much
changes.  'make build' output may look a little different, and there is a
much nicer web interface to watch whats going on, and even the ability
to "watch" the logs from the cli.  We'll also be able to do build
notifications by default to not just the person whom submitted the build, but
also to the person whom owns the package built.

> Without knowledge of such things, I tend to think making the move at the
> same time for both and also making it possible for ex-Core packages to have
> dependencies on ex-Extras ones also at the same time would sound quite
> natural.  Not enough info to have a strong opinion though.

Breaking the world all at once is sometimes desired.  However due to not
having enough hardware we can't do that, and instead of waiting on many of
these things until then, I'd rather get some of the pain done now so that
when we do the merger it's actually a lot smoother and there is a lot less
risk of EVERYTHING breaking all at once.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora