Fedora 7 Test 4 freeze Tuesday the 17th

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 20:11:02 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 16:15:34 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hmm, thats the same document as for the test3 freeze and doesn't talk about
> any tagging. When I issue (bugfix) updates to any of my packages on or
> after the 17th, do I then need todo anything special to get them into test4
> and/or final?

It's not the same document, I made some changes.  The test3 document was
FeatureFreeze, and tagging isn't mentioned there because the use of a freeze
tag isn't in place.

Until such time as Extras is built in Koji, or Core and Extras merge and are
built in Koji, as an Extras packager you don't have to worry about this.  _I_
worry about it because I can't control what goes into Extras or what doesn't
go into Extras during the freeze.  But that's a price I'm willing to pay to
let Extras be extras until we merge, or get a new buildsystem in place that
makes this easy.

> When I issue non-bugfix updates can I still build them or must I wait till
> Fedora 7 final and an F7 branch is created before building (in the new
> devel then) non bugfix updates?

This is made a bit difficult by how our package SCM works.  Ideally you'd be
able to start doing non-bugfix updates somewhere and perhaps even build them,
but they wouldn't necessarily go into rawhide.  It would also not get in the
way of doing any bugfixes that are needed for the release we're trying to get
out.  Alas we don't necessarily have that right now, without using real cvs
branching, although you could do that.  Ideally you'd keep devel/ HEAD free
of any non-bugfix updates until it's branched off to F-7/ and then you'd be
free to do whatever you want with devel/.  Since we can't create F-7/
directories from the tag that was used to produce the package that went out
in F-7, we have to make it from whatever is in devel/ HEAD at the time of the
branch, and you could wind up with content in F-7/ that didn't actually go
out in F7.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora