Summary of the 2007-04-17 Packaging Committee meeting

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Apr 17 23:33:08 UTC 2007

Meeting minutes and full logs of the packaging meeting which occurred
on 2007.04.17 are online:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Minutes
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Minutes20070417

Executive summary:

The following drafts are now official guidelines, having been accepted
by FESCO last week:
 * A statement of the responsibilities of reviewers and packagers during
   the package review process
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/OverallReviewGoals

 * Guidelines for conflicting packages and the use of Conflicts:
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Conflicts

These should be written into the guidelines soon if this hasn't
already been done by the time you read this.

Issues pending FESCO ratification:
 * Minor clarifications to the filename encoding guidelines:
   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2007-April/msg00156.html

 * The guidelines contained a few references to fedora-extras-list;
   these have been altered to point to fedora-devel-list instead.
   We went ahead and made the change because extras-list is gone, but
   FESCO should ack these changes.

Misc business:
 * The Committee waded with much trepidation into the issue of
   guidelines for the creation of users and groups. This is a complex
   issue which I won't attempt to summarize, but it will require
   significantly more discussion.

 * Meeting time: We'll have to block out time in a wiki table and try
   to narrow something down. At the moment it looks like 1600UTC
   satisfies the most people, except for cutting into f13's lunchtime.

 - J<