broken deps outside of packagers control

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Apr 19 14:40:48 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> No. The pushscript makes available the i386 development packages for
> x86_64, so you can develop for i386 on x86_64.

And does this in a very stupid way, for some reason in your reply you didn't
bother to react to this:

---

No this sounds like a BAD solution to me. We are going to have this problem for
every non noarch perl / python / ruby / xxx package that happens to split of a
-devel package (for example because of .pc files).

---

Where I was talking about the pygame-devel issue, simply putting all .i386
packages which have a -devel subpackage / provides in the x86_64 tree is wrong.

You can dance around it all you will, but in the end it is still wrong <period>  .

And until this gets fixed we will keep see breakage like the gnumeric one. I
agree that the -devel subpackage of gnumeric is a strange beast and probably
not necessary, but thats not the discussion here, thats merely a symptom. An
other fine example is pygame. We do not want i386 library wrappers for python /
perl / ruby / xxx to end up in x86_64, just because then happen to have a
-devel suppackage for, for example, pkgconfig files.

Regards,

Hans