broken deps outside of packagers control

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 22:54:58 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> On pygame: When I skimmed over the contents of pygame-devel in Dec 2006,
> the first file was a pure C header without any Python stuff in it and
> without any corresponding library to link to. That put me on a false
> track. I should have looked less briefly, since macros in the other three
> headers do import Python modules via the Python C API. Christopher was
> free to point out my mistake instead of eliminating "Requires: Python-devel
> SDL-devel SDL_mixer-devel" without any replacement. He could also have
> consulted the original reviewer of the package and request a second
> opinion.

Obviously this multi-lib issue was well beyond my capability of
understanding.  I assumed you knew what you were talking about with
pygame.

So now you are saying I should add the pygame-devel package back and
let it be blacklisted?

Do not assume I understand how pygame works just because I package it.
 I package pygame because it is a necessary evil for another package
that I _do_ care about.

If someone who has an intimate knowledge of pygame wants to take over
maintainership of it, please let me know.  Otherwise I will struggle
through being its maintainer.