Fedora 7: SCIM Launch Problem

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 06:17:19 UTC 2007

Warren Togami wrote:
> - If you are in the extreme minority that needs non-default behavior, it
> is perfectly reasonable to expect these users to choose a custom
> setting.  It doesn't make sense to inconvenience the majority of users
> to make it slightly simpler for these rare users.

I'm not sure about "extreme minority", but I am not looking forward to
field bug reports and mails asking if and how to enable scim.

> - These rare users already have to enable it with a non-default
> configuration in other operating systems.  This is nothing new, and I
> would disagree that this is a regression.

Still looks a bit like one to me.  The alternatives I can see are:

1) not installing scim by default
2) only starting scim by default if scim IMEs are installed
3) use provides/requires to pull in scim im modules

though they do not address the livecd.

> Also consider the impact on RHEL5 users, where the complaint of this bug
> originated.  How do you think the non-Asian users will feel when
> RHEL-5.1 forces them to install SCIM and it is using memory always, when
> they don't need it?

IMHO we should not install scim by default in 5.1.

> Sorry, this was considered a Test4 blocker so I have already reverted it
> a few days ago.  You might want to check that it was backed out properly.

Yes, I noticed that after sending.  I'll update scim later since the
changes should actually be in the system config file not the hardcoded
default.  (I was expecting bug reports if the previous version had
stayed in test4 so thanks for sparing me those, though some of them
might have been useful...)

> For example, Desktop team would like eventually more tightly integrate
> SCIM activation/configuration with GNOME's session and capplets.  This
> would enable activation of SCIM during any running session instead of
> requiring a desktop relog.  There are opportunities to improve our
> default launch behavior in conjunction with this.

Yes, indeed this of course is the real long term solution and something
I would really like to help make happen too.  It really needs to be done
upstream together with the freedesktop and input method communities.

Thanks, Jens