Split libperl from perl

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 24 15:17:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:26:46AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 15:55 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > - Have all repos be single-arch. Those that want multilb subscribe to both
> >   repos, and have their packages determined by a yum plugin.
>
> Amen. It would be nice if we could have them subscribe to the _normal_
> i386 repo -- rather than having a separate repo with just a subset of
> packages. The whole crappy 'has a -devel subpackage' heuristic can just
> die, but this works _ONLY_ if we fix the tools to do the right thing
> when the full set of secondary-arch packages is available.

> Secondly, we should kill the dirty hack in RPM which allows packages
> with file conflicts in /usr/bin to be installed, with RPM silently
> choosing one of the available files. The decision about what to install
> should come from whatever's calling RPM; RPM shouldn't be
> second-guessing. We should fix our packaging so that these file
> conflicts don't exist

This sounds a lot like asking for bin64 series of the bins with the 64
bit versions taking precedence of the legacy ones (e.g. the typical
simplified path gets from
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
/usr/local/sbin64:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin64:/usr/local/bin:/sbin64:/sbin:/bin64:/bin:/usr/sbin64:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin64:/usr/bin).
I wonder why it was never considered from the start, maybe there is
some flaw in this design.

Most packages would rebuild properly with a %_(s)bindir defined to
/usr/(s)bin64. The ones making some trouble would be the ones that drop
off bits into /(s)bin. But their number is managable.

As a side effect this would solve the libexec issue as well, but
that's just some cosmetics.

Note: Of course this solves nothing for 7, but maybe for 8.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net