[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 25 14:01:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:46 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I've hacked up something like this as a test -- I've made RPM's
> preference of 32-bit vs 64-bit be configurable.
> http://david.woodhou.se/rpm-4.4.2-prefer-elf32.patch
>
> I'm doing an install with anaconda modified to set %_prefer_color to 1
> on ppc64, so that we prefer 32-bit. I expect it to work fine except
> for /sbin/ldconfig, which is about the only case where we _do_ want
> 64-bit.

The install seems fine. The 32-bit ldconfig seems perfectly capable of
making symlinks in /usr/lib64, and 64-bit binaries work fine.

I wasn't expecting to have 64-bit binaries apart from gdb, which I
installed manually -- but I'd forgotten about bug 233427, in which yum
gets the preference wrong and selects the 64-bit version of the package
instead of the 32-bit for some packages.

--
dwmw2