[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Apr 25 17:09:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:52:21PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Consider (*)
>
> yum install foo.i386
> yum install foo.x86_64
> yum remove foo.x86_64
> rpm -V foo
> (same for smart and apt)
>
> The current multilib model in rpm with blindly overwriting files is
> broken by design (e.g. unfixable in shared bindir environments). You
> cannot consider the packaging system a stateless machine anymore.

Another way of avoiding this issue, however, would be to have
normal conflicts in (/usr)/(s)bin. All the multilib enabled packages
would have to do subpackages without conflicting files and only those
subpackaged could be multilib parallel installable. This is another way
to solve the issue. It might involve wrapper scripts for executable
we really want to be parallel installable, this issue is indeed better
solved with different (/usr)/(s)bin, but I guess that the number of
executables we want to have in paralell is not a lot.

> Adding to the design issues there are also implementation bugs with
> %docs and %langs that get uninstalled when the i386 package gets
> uninstalled and so on.

That looks like a bug, not a real issue.

> Furthermore foo.i386 and foo.x86_64 packages
> often alread conflict on other files which is silently muted during
> coinstallation.

How is it possible?

> It is getting so much convoluted with rpm, yum and anaconda exceptions
> and bug workarounds that we need a clean model. And packaging wise
> this means no more overwriting of files with foreign contents.

Except if they have the same md5 sum?

--
Pat