[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Apr 25 17:45:36 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, 25 April 2007 at 19:39, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:09:32PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:52:21PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > Consider (*)
> > >
> > > yum install foo.i386
> > > yum install foo.x86_64
> > > yum remove foo.x86_64
> > > rpm -V foo
> > > (same for smart and apt)
> > >
> > > The current multilib model in rpm with blindly overwriting files is
> > > broken by design (e.g. unfixable in shared bindir environments). You
> > > cannot consider the packaging system a stateless machine anymore.
> >
> > Another way of avoiding this issue, however, would be to have
> > normal conflicts in (/usr)/(s)bin. All the multilib enabled packages
> > would have to do subpackages without conflicting files and only those
> > subpackaged could be multilib parallel installable. This is another way
> > to solve the issue.
>
> Yes, but it does involve much more work to do.

It is something worth doing IMHO.

> And if we assume that
> every package is in principle candidate for multilib, we would end
> with a guidelines to have all packages using bindir to split off
> subpackages. The setting _bindir=/usr/bin64 would already fix the
> majority of packages w/o having to touhc the specfile.

I don't think we should be considering {,s}bin64 abomination.
It'd create too much confusion among the userbase. See Jakub's post.

[...]
> > > Furthermore foo.i386 and foo.x86_64 packages
> > > often alread conflict on other files which is silently muted during
> > > coinstallation.
> >
> > How is it possible?
>
> you mean how does rpm do that, or how do the packages and up having
> conflicting contents?
>
> I just did an RHEL5 full install (we're talking Fedora, but for now I
> only have these numbers fresh to quote, FC6 will be similar):
> Momentarily after installing the system I did an rpm -Va and examined
> the output: It was either 53 or 58 packages that were not verifying
> due to multilib problems.
>
> Just as an example:
> # rpm -V samba-common
> .......T   /etc/rc.d/init.d/winbind
> .......T c /etc/samba/lmhosts
> .......T c /etc/samba/smb.conf

> .......T   /usr/include/libmsrpc.h
> .......T   /usr/include/libsmbclient.h

Those should be in a -devel package and libs should
be split off, too. Clearly a packaging bug.

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski