Plan for tomorrows (20070426) FESCO meeting

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 12:40:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 12:37 +0200, KH KH wrote:
> I would like to ask which is the current status of firmware
> distribution (Wifi)
> I don't know for example if iwlwifi-firmware will be bundled, so
> laptops with ipw3945 chipset could work "out of the box" (depending on
> status with the last kernel)
>
> In such case: it would be good to bundle also zd1211-firmware,
>  which have been reported to work fine...

Short answer:
ipw2100, ipw2200, iwlwifi and zd1211 firmware are currently included in
the default install.

Answer on getting the answer:
Check out comps[1] and look in the hardware-support group (as that's
where firmware packages are being put).  If the package is marked as
default, then it'll get installed by default.  The hardware-support
group is installed by default on both regular installs and included on
the live images.[2]

> Other Ralink firmware status is unknow for now ...
> (still in review process - but upstream do not bundle any license with
> it)

Given the freeze status, we're unlikely to add more firmwares to the
default install of F7 before the release.  Because by doing so, we're
basically adding a feature and letting a driver do something... which
then increases the chances for a driver blowing up on people.

Jeremy

[1] cvs -d:ext:cvs.fedoraproject.org:/cvs/extras co comps, see
comps-f7.xml.in
[2] The default and mandatory packages that is; optional packages are
just that, optionally installed