[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Thu Apr 26 20:02:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:52:03 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> I would like to see Fedora adopt the {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 handling as
> described by Axel.  Or something very similar to it.
>
> If it is possible (and I think it is), I'd like to have a framework
> that allows *full* co-existence of 32-bit and 64-bit packages.

I'm pretty lost here...  Why would anyone want a multiarch system ?  I
mean, we already have chroots and virtual machines, so what more does it
buy us to get a big mess of duplicated things?

I understand multilib a bit better. It can be useful when a
particular tool (e.g. firefox and its plugins) work better on one arch
than on the other one. But I just want one of them usually. I don't see
how having a /bin/ls, a /bin32/ls and a /bin64/ls all at the same time
is going to be useful.

Of course, if I could have my druthers, then I'd prefer a fully working
64 bits firefox and plugins...  hopefully some day...