[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Fri Apr 27 02:43:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 02:26:08AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> In contast the bin64 proposal does not even have to look into the
> specfile (unless the specfile hardcoded /usr/bin or does other
> forbidden things we already have purged away from Fedora), no
> subpackage inflation, no overcmplicated intra- and interpackage
> depency relations, no tadpole loop depedencies.

The biggest issue I see with any bin64 issue is that you have a *huge*
installed base of legacy software (and legacy software developers) who
just assume that you can set a clean PATH to /usr/bin:/bin, and possibly
/usr/sbin:/sbin. Lots of security-conscious software will do things like
reset the PATH.

Now all of a sudden, that no longer works. You have to either trust that
PATH isnt set maliciously, or you have to know the arch you are on and
that arch's specific peculariarities: prefer bin32 or bin64? etc.

This sounds like a lot of pain and agony for lots of people and
third-party software.

--
Michael