[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Fri Apr 27 05:11:12 UTC 2007

Peter Lemenkov a écrit :
> Hello All!
> I found another one thing that was made unpractically. We got
> langpacks for 40 different languages that occupies ~12 MBytes from 43
> Mbytes. This situatuin is drastically dioffers fron one with
> OpenOffice.org whose langpacks are not shipped with main app.

Size is not the main problem i think.

Time used to check extensions at first launch is another.

Extension list is also quite big.

What will occur when we also have the dictionnaries ? (more than 40 new
extensions).

What will occur if we install "enigmail", thunderbird extension, (i'm
working on an RPM for this that i will submit for Extras). This package
should follow the Fedora usage and come with more than 20 language packs.

And probably other extensions...

> I think that it would be reasonable to split firefox into main
> application package and many language packs.

Yes, it's seems reasonnable to me

The "target" could be

- firefox
- firefox-devel
- firefox-<extension>
- firefox-langpack-<xx> with dictionnaries, langpack for firefox and
extensions

Regards