[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Apr 27 06:25:51 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> Hello All!
>> I found another one thing that was made unpractically. We got
>> langpacks for 40 different languages that occupies ~12 MBytes from 43
>> Mbytes. This situatuin is drastically dioffers fron one with
>> OpenOffice.org whose langpacks are not shipped with main app.
>>
>> I think that it would be reasonable to split firefox into main
>> application package and many language packs.
>
> On my system right now, /usr/share/locale takes up 373MB, dwarfing
> whatever Firefox uses.

Which people who do minimal installs can (and do) bring down to close to 0 by
%_install_langs to something different to all in %{_libdir}/rpm/macros

> Splitting out Firefox's langpacks won't solve
> your problem.

Actualy it will because I'm pretty sure that Peter is already using
%_install_langs and probably also %_excludedocs

May I suggest however that a much better solution would be to use %lang XXX int
he %files list for the langpacks, that way if Peter indeed is using
%_install_langs, then he will automatically use the lnagpacks to without all
the downsides of using seperate langpack sub packages

Regards,

Hans