[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 27 15:15:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 04:50:10PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 April 2007 at 19:16, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > Allowing that was always a mistake. It needs to die.

> > > Error. Files from foo.x86_64 conflict with files from foo.i386.

> > > Error. foo.x86_64 is not installed.

> > > Works fine.
> >
> > God, I hate it when people trim away the important parts. Aow you
> > assume again your model of "review everything once again, we'll split
> > off all bins by F10-F11", but I'm still in this year, and want Fedora
> > to do something more then rereviewing all its specfiles several times
> > a year.
>
> ... by introducing the abomination of bin64? Over my dead body.

Let's hope not. :)

> This is wrong, breaks all kinds of things and confuses not only
> users, but administrators as well.

Well, we've discussed what it could break which isn't really much. And
the confusion will be rather less than the current multilib model. Did
you ever try to explain to an non-multilib expert (but otherwise
skilled person) how multilib and elf coloring works? Usually they
think you are making a fool out of them. ;)

> If you want to do multiarching, go the gentoo/debian way and use a
> chroot.

You know what? I agree 101%. I just want to see this multilib breakage
go away. But I don't think that will happen (e.g. replacing all the
multilib stuff with plain and simple chroots)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net