[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Apr 27 18:14:35 UTC 2007

On Friday, 27 April 2007 at 19:32, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 05:35:03PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 17:10 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
[...]
> > > mplayer on certain codecs come to mind, which would also benefit from
> > > allowing both of them to install. mplayer foo fails? Then just try
> > > /usr/bin/mplayer foo? It just works w/o packaging mplayer-32 on
> > > x86_64? Great.
> >
> > This is solved with our existing setup, by just installing the 32-bit
> > mplayer and not the 64-bit one.
>
> # yum install mplayer.i386
> file /usr/bin/mplayer from mplayer.i386 conflicts with file /usr/bin/mplayer from installed mplayer.x86_64
> <rant>
> # yum remove mplayer
> mplayer is needed by ...
> <rant, rant, rant>
> # rpm -e --nodeps mplayer
> # yum install mplayer.i386
> <wait, wait, wait>
> # mplayer foo
> <hm, mplayer.i386 cannot play it either, or I just want my x86_64 version back>
> # yum install mplayer.x86_64
> file /usr/bin/mplayer from mplayer.x86_64 conflicts with file /usr/bin/mplayer from installed mplayer.i386
> <argh, slamming keyboard against the display>
> # rpm -e --nodeps mplayer.x86_64; yum install mplayer
> Sorry, you are offline, please try later
> <throwing the laptop off the plane>

Currently it's no better.

Assume we have 64bit mplayer installed.
$ mplayer foo
doesn't work, needs 32bit binary blob codecs
# yum install mplayer.i386
$ mplayer foo
still doesn't work! aargh, why? oh, wait, rpm just ignored the 32bit binary
even though there's a file conflict!
<throwing laptop off the plane>

> The better solution:
>
> # yum install mplayer.i386
> # goi386 mplayer foo
> <hm, mplayer.i386 cannot play it either, or I just want my x86_64 version back>

s,goi386,chroot /emul,

and we have Gentoo or Debian's pure64 solution. It's not a better solution,
it's a different solution. Heck, it solves a different problem!

> # mplayer foo
> <OK, that was smooth, now I have time for solving the world hunger problem>

You don't need bin64 for that.

Regards,
R.

--