[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 27 20:12:42 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon napsal(a):
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to add my 2$ as well to this issue.. so.. We have usual OSS
>> applications that handle locales via *.po/*.mo files. These can (and
>> must) be
>> handled in spec file. I don't have any problems with this. But firefox is
>> different. Far different. First, it ships langpacks separately from main
>> programme, in *.xpi files.
>
> That's an implementation detail, really.  This discussion should be
> format-independent.  Should I replace the 12 MB of .zip (yes that's all
> .xpi are) files with 20MB+ of uncompressed .po files?  Will that cause
> people to stop complaining?

Well, IMO it's not ONLY an implementation detail. Most of applications have
locales in /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/app-name.mo. Why should firefox be
different? Either it doesn't work this way, or you have other reason to do it
other way. If you put the *.mo files in LC_MESSAGES you will handle locales IMO
properly, firefox will boot faster because the locales won't be handled by it as
extensions BUT will it work this way? To be fair I dunno. If you decide to keep
it in the xpi file under /usr/lib/firefox-*/extensions/langpack* then you agree
with firefox developers that it is an extension. And so it IMO should be in
separate package - if there is a way how to make it work well. And since we have
langpacks separated for OOo, I think the way is here.

> Second, Firefox's langpacks are extensions not proper
>> locale AFAIK.
>
> AFAIK, this is not a proper argument.  Please explain.

Well, I overdo it a bit with use of word proper, yet, firefox handle it as an
extension and that make the extension list grow and to check for compatibility
whenever you upgrade to new version. I don't mind if I have tens of directories
under /usr/share/locale, but quite dislike that I have tens of extension in
clean firefox install. OK, you say it is in xpi, because it is too big without
compression, then, why not split it from the main package? IMO it is reasonable
to either have firefox locales among other locales (i.e. in /usr/share/locale),
or have firefox langpacks in separate packages, possibly with dictionaries
included, if firefox has not been patched yet to use the hunspell ones (splitted
from OOo).