How to load a kernel module automatically?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Apr 1 18:10:32 UTC 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> Ville Skyttä napisał(a):
> > I think it's generally better to not try adding/removing
> > modules in scriptlets at all, but just do the depmod -a(e) for the
> > correct kernel.
>
> Could you be a bit more specific?

When taking everything that needs to be taken into account, the scriptlets get
more than a little hairy.  My previous mail scratches the surface of
packaging related problems with it.  Further things to consider: Can you be
sure that removing a module won't screw the runtime system's state some way
(for example, for practical purposes, some hardware which may be essential to
the user (which you as the packager can't know) can disappear on the fly,
just like that)?  And what do you do if the module removal fails on package
upgrades?  What if it fails on package erase time?