Fedora for tiny devices - exessive dependencies

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Apr 3 03:29:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Peter Lemenkov wrote:

> Subject: Re: Fedora for tiny devices - exessive dependencies

> In any case I forced to download entire package then I'm doing "yum update" :)

I find the mentioning of "tiny devices" and "yum" together rather..... amusing :)

You can't run yum on machines with less then 256MB. Which is rather silly since
a lot of my virtual machines now only need that much memory because of yum. Any
what I would call "tiny device" would run into the issue of not being able to
run the package manager.

There are no such problems with apt/dpkg. I am not sure why yum is such a
memory hog. I understand it is a cpu hog because unlike apt, it needs to
recalculate all the dependancies every time it is invoked, but why does it
requires 256MB to operate?

Paul