Fedora Account System Changes

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 10:08:52 UTC 2007

> 1) When you are approved for cvsextras, you are automatically approved
> for fedorabugs.  This means that once you have the ability to commit to
> Fedora CVS you gain the ability to make changes to bug reports in
> bugzilla.  This is the policy we've had for quite a long time but
> formerly it required users to request membership in the second group and
> find someone to add them.  Note that we haven't yet made a pass through
> cvsextras to add everyone there to fedorabugs so if you don't have
> fedorabugs but do have commit access to the repository, go ahead and
> request membership as you would have in the past.

Hmm. What's cvsextras? Is there a cvscore?

> 2) Since Red Hat legal has decided that Red Hat employees have the
> equivalent of signing the CLA because of the terms of their employment,
> we needed to restructure the cla_done group to show whether a person has
> passed the CLA barrier by signing the Fedora Individual Contributor
> License Agreement (and thus is a member of cla_done until/unless they
> revoke it) or by being employed by a company that's signed a corporate
> CLA (in which case cla_done would be dropped when the person is no
> longer an employee.)  We implemented this by creating new groups for
> each class of CLA.  People who've signed the Fedora CLA are now members
> of cla_fedora.  Employees of Red Hat are in cla_redhat.  Dell employees
> (which has a similar corporate CLA to cover employees contributing to
> Fedora) are covered by cla_dell.  Membership in any of these groups
> automatically grants cla_done so existing code that looks at whether
> someone is in cla_done will continue to function.

I can now add myself to cla_redhat, so thanks.

However, I need to add myself to cla_done to add to any groups like
cvsextras, etc.

I'm a bit confused about the account edit page on fedoraprojects.org.

In general, I'm not sure what groups I'm supposed to "add," or why I'm
supposed to add them. I don't see a master list of possible groups
anywhere, or a way to get a sponsor if I need one. (What's this? Who
approves stuff?)

What's the master list of groups that a new account owner should have if
  they were a maintainer of a core package in the old fedora system?

Thanks for spelling this out.

best,
benjamin