Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:32:13 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> On 10.04.2007 08:23, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> The current thinking seems to be to just ignore them* but this is guaranteed
> >> to result in a lot of confusion. When end users do a distribution upgrade via
> >> yum or Anaconda, some of the packages might not have been updated to the
> >> Fedora 7 version due to incorrect packaging or other issues while the rest
> >> are packages which are deliberated not rebuild to avoid churn. Debugging a
> >> end user system with such a mix of packages is very painful.
> >
> > Dist tags considered harmful... :) RHEL 5 suffers from this same
> > syndrome, it has loads of packages tagged "fc6" which I could imagine
> > causing quite a bit of confusion as well.
>
> Yeah, they made it a FAQ already ;-)
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_10269.shtm

As a paying RHEL customer, this kind of upsets me.  They can't take
the time to ensure file-names are right on their flagship product.  I
realize it's mostly cosmetic, but many people who run RHEL are NOT
good at Linux and need all the help they can get.

I think dist tags should match the dist the package is used in.  End of story.
MIKE