Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 12:50:43 UTC 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007 08:31, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> The current thinking seems to be to just ignore them* but this is
> guaranteed to result in a lot of confusion.

It should be very simple to write a tool that just modifies the internal data
in the rpm to change the dist tag and rename the file. If you wanted to get
fancy, it could even update cvs for the specfile and update the changelog
section of the rpm as well. It may not be necessary to recompile everything
if that is objectionable.

My personal opinion is that we should rebuild every package at least once
during every development cycle not only so that the tags are correct, but to
make sure packages don't bit-rot as the tool chain improves. I'd rather have
the churn and correctness than less to download and bit-rot.

-Steve