[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:16:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 19:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 10 avril 2007 à 10:08 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :
> > A new Guideline has been added to the Encoding section:
> >
> > '''
> > Non-ASCII Filenames
> > Filenames that contain non-ASCII characters must be encoded as UTF-8.
> > Since there's no way to note which encoding the filename is in, using
> > the same encoding for all filenames is the best way to ensure users can
> > read the filenames properly. If upstream ships filenames that are not
> > encoded in UTF-8 you can use a utility like convmv (from the convmv
> > package) to convert the filename in your %install section.
> > '''
> >
> > This change was approved by the Fedora Packaging Committee and ratified
> > by FESCO.
>
> Shouldn't this be clarified as 7-bit ASCII ? Many people think ASCII ~
> 8-bit ISO-8859-1

I think of ASCII != ISO-8859-1 but if that's not a common way of
thinking then I am more than willing to clarify.

I notice that we use the term US-ASCII in the outer section::
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#PackageEncoding

Would changing non-ASCII to non-US-ASCII characters be suffcient?

-Toshio