[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 06:55:23 UTC 2007

Then we link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ASCII_full.svg

> >  (the 128
> > characters that consist of letters, numbers and punctuation used in
> > English),
>
> This may seem clear to you because you know what it means, but that's
> not so for the average non-english-speaking packager. They'll assume the
> 128 characters include latin variants (or ©), and forget about control
> codes and punctuation.

We could define it as a negative "(ASCII does not include accented
letters or special symbols like ©)".

Basically, I think a good portion of anglo-centric packagers won't know
what the relationship is between ASCII and UTF-8.  So there needs to be
some note that says that ASCII-only text is fine.  If you think that
non-English speaking packagers won't know what ASCII is then we need to
define ASCII for them.  I'm willing to make these two points with
whatever wording you like as long as it's clear both points are
addressed.

-Toshio