Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 13:04:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 08:31:15 Axel Thimm wrote:
> The fc6 tag is really cosmetics in comparison to what we may run into
> w/o a proper rebuild. In fact we should really keep them (the tags),
> so when a package explodes the user/bug reporter/bug assignee will be
> able to identify the distribution the package was built on and perhaps
> derive that that's the real issue.

With Koji, it is pretty easy to find out EXACTLY what packages were in the
buildroot to build any given package.  The dist tag is not necessary for
guessing.

All your above scenarios are valid, and can be mitigated by on the side
continuous rebuilds of packages to identify when changes might happen, which
would allow the maintainers and release team to make decisions as to which
packages should be rebuilt for a new build chain.  It does not mean we should
just blanket rebuild everything just because we can and there could
POTENTIALLY be issues in SOME packages.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora