[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 13:59:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:48 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> This will be fine
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_characters
> may work too (although the text before the table may be confusing)
>
> > We could define it as a negative "(ASCII does not include accented
> > letters or special symbols like ©)".
>
> Been there, tried that, anything but a chart or an image like the one you
> proposed is not a sufficient cluestick

Guys,
just "man ascii", is all you need, simple and available on all systems.
with a table, concise text and no we references that can change.

>From the man page:
       ASCII is the American Standard Code for Information Interchange.  It is
       a  7-bit  code. Many 8-bit codes (such as ISO 8859-1, the Linux default
       character set) contain ASCII as their lower  half.   The  international
       counterpart of ASCII is known as ISO 646.

We could also say something like:
The following characters are ok for use in any file name:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~

But the fisrt form is the easiest one, reading a man page is pretty
straight forward.