Plan for tomorrows (20070412) FESCO meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Apr 12 16:12:57 UTC 2007

Brian Pepple schrieb:
> Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
> next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday at 17:00 UTC
> in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:
>  [...]
> You want something to be discussed? [...]

I'd like to see "what feels FESCo responsible for" discussed a bit (here
and in the meeting probably, as I'm quite late in the game for todays
meeting -- sorry).

Reason: FESCo (as Fedora *Engineering* Steering Committee) is the
successor of what was known as "Core Cabal" in the past. It members
afaik handled and coordinated nearly all *engineering* tasks to get a
distribution finished round about every six months. That includes (but
it not limited to) stuff like freezes, delays, what gets in after the
feature freeze, roadmap/pampered features, reports from the
relase-manager/team and QA about test release, analyzing what went good
and what went bad and needs to be improved next time; all those and a
lot of other things I'm missing now the Core Cabal did in the past.

FESCo as the official Core Cabal successor afaics should handle those
stuff these days. But it gets rarely done -- seem the Board took care of
it in the past weeks as FESCo didn't do much about the stuff mentioned
above. But is that wanted? Or did it simply happen that way?

Note that I complained about this on FAB-list already and discussed it a
bit with Max in private. That resulted in a discussion in a board
meeting two weeks ago; see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-March/msg00279.html
Quoting:
"'''Fedora Board and Fedora Engineering Steering Committee'''

Max summarized his recent conversation with ThorstenLeemhuis in which
they discussed the fact that the Fedora Board is inadvertantly poaching
some of the topics that are more appropriately discussed by FESCO.
Examples include (1) EPEL guildelines, (2) release schedule details, and
(3) status checks on the most important Fedora 7 features.

The Board needs to do a better job of *understanding* what is going on
with all those items and being informed, but not necessarily making the
decisions itself -- that takes away a bit from FESCO, which should have
the first opportunity to act."

Well, if FESCo wants to take this opportunity then I'd say it should
have at least a "Fedora 7: status and what remains to be done" or
similar stuff on the schedule.

CU
thl