[GuidelinesChange] UTF8 filenames

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Apr 13 10:05:21 UTC 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote :

> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:33 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Nicolas Mailhot wrote :

> > > Sure but ASCII is frequently abused nevertheless. And human lazyness
> > > will "help" people choose the abusive interpretation.
> >
> > How about referring to "plain ASCII" in the guideline?
>
> Why has no one mentioned the most obvious solution. Refer to it as
> "7-bit ASCII". It has the word "ASCII" in it for ease of understanding,
> and further stresses that we mean 7 bits, not 8. It may technically be
> redundant, but that's pretty much the point.

In the very first reply to the thread, Nicolas suggested just that, and
it's what started the discussion :-)

Nicolas : "Shouldn't this be clarified as 7-bit ASCII ?"

Others : ASCII is necessarily 7-bit!!

Which brought me to suggest "plain ASCII", as "plain" suggests "no
extensions", but doesn't go into any technical details, and it's a
terminology I'm quite sure I already came across a few times.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.51 0.27 0.18