Release Engineering Meeting Recap from Monday 16-APR-07

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Apr 17 10:19:21 UTC 2007

On 17.04.2007 11:32, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:10:18AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 17.04.2007 10:35, Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Well, I can include Extras, too, the data above was from a mail to
>>> Jesse when it was about Core. For Extras the numbers are far more
>>> striking, here is a common table including the FC data [...]
>> Hmmm, do you sill have a tree of FE[3-6] how it looked like when FC[3-6]
>> were released?
> No, do you?

No, sorry, I don't have any local Extras trees at all.

>> Otherwise your numbers are IMHO totally misleading, as they show
>> what got rebuild between release of FC[3-6] and *today*.
> No, they compare the latest state of FE<N> and the latest state of
> FE<N+1>.  For FE5 and FE6 for example it compares the latest state as
> of today. For FE4 and FE5 it compares FE4's EOL date (~FC6) and
> today. So there is no time discrepancy as you assume.

Assume package foo-1.0-1.noarch was in FE5 and devel. The FE6 got
branched, so foo was not rebuild during that devel cycle (this is thus a
example of a package we are up to: one that didn't get rebuild during a
devel cycle). Some weeks later foo got a update to foo-1.1-1.noarch; it
got build in both FE5, FE6 and FE-devel. Got a bugfix with
foo-1.1-2.noarch; the old one foo-1.0-1.noarch gets deleted from the
tree then, as we only ship the two latest versions.

So how can your scripts detect now that foo-1.0-1.noarch wasn't rebuild
during the devel-period FE5->FE6 by looking at todays repos?

> And it comes as no suprise since as we all should know FE was always
> doing mass rebuilds until including FC6. I wonder how the 0.6% and 1%
> were forgotten in the process. Perhaps someone did a rebuild with the
> same EVR - we didn't catch these in the old days.

We never did full rebuilds. Data-packages never had to be rebuild.
Noarch packages (python, perl) did not have to be rebuild during those
mass rebuilds either iirc (but we adviced to do it when preparing FE6 iirc).

CU
thl