Question on how to handled "GPL with exceptions" in a package review.

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 18:46:49 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>>
>>> The rule of thumb when dealing with GPL exceptions is
>> [...]
>>
>> If you are not a lawyer avoid assuming what can be done. [1]
>>

>> [1]
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2007-April/msg00020.html
>

> Fortunately here I don't assume. I asked.  Besides I did add sufficient
> disclaimers. So what's your point?

In the post I replied to, I saw no disclaimers nor mention of who, if
anybody, in legal you asked.  On top of that, you ended with a note that
it "seems ok" to you, which can be construed as legal advice.

My point is that without knowing where your information is coming from,
it appears that you're making assumptions which could be wrong.  It's
one thing when you do that about various code-level or
distribution-level items, but a whole different ballgame with legal
affairs.  Please avoid doing that.