broken deps outside of packagers control

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Apr 18 14:14:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:32:53 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 18.04.2007 15:26, Hans de Goede wrote:
>  > [...]
> > This raises 2 issues:

... which could have been posted in a less reproachful way.

> > 1 Notice how the deps are only broken for the i386 version in the x86_64 tree,
> >    this is something outside my control. If script XXX decides to put a i386
> >    gnumeric in the x86_64 tree, then the script should also make sure it puts in
> >    all need deps from the i386 tree

It does. But Core and Extras are not merged yet, so it cannot do anything
inside the Core repo.

> perl.i386 was in the Core tree but got removed without proper
> announcement/discussion beforehand (and even worse: that happened on the
> day of the feature freeze). See
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-April/msg01004.html

Also note that if gaim had stayed in Core, it would now be broken in Core
x86_64 due to this removal of perl.i386. [FC6 ships gaim.i386 and perl.i386
for x86_64]

> > 2 Why does the script put the i386 version of gnumeric (an application) in
> >    the x86_64 tree at all? That just doesn't make sense.
>
> I assume because there is a gnumeric-devel (the multilib-magic scripts
> afaik try to track in most of the devel packages, which thus tracks in
> the main package normally, too).

Yes. And that means, this issue is _not_ "outside packager's control",
because in most of the cases the packager *could* split off a sub-package
and adjust the -devel pkg requirements accordingly.

However, (!) whether this is the way to go with these broken deps this
time, too, or whether to exclude them from the multi-lib pushscript,
needs further investigation.