Spilt libperl from perl

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 19:55:26 UTC 2007

Warren Togami (wtogami at redhat.com) said:
> >This solves the problem for now, and we already are planning to change
> >multilib for F8.
>
> Any written plans of how exactly multilib will change for F8?

No concrete plans. One idea:

- Have all repos be single-arch. Those that want multilb subscribe to both
  repos, and have their packages determined by a yum plugin.

  Pros: simple for repo creation
        allows users to customize what they want

  Cons: the plugin could take a not-insignificant amount of cpu time/ram to run
        probably would need some core yum changes as well

Basically, there are two reasons that extensive multlib support is/was
needed:

1) Runtime - running ppc64 apps on ppc, i386 apps on x86_64

2) Development - developing i386 apps on a x86_64 box. Or ppc64 apps anywhere.

#2 has historically been a problem that multlib solved. In a fully open
Fedora world, it can be solved with mock (assuming we throw up a full
ppc64 tree somewhere).

This leaves #1. You could certainly write algorithms to determine 'what
is a runtime lib' that will operate on any package set and decide what
to install. But, since any such algorithm will be iterating over the file
set, it's unlikely to be fast.

Bill