Spilt libperl from perl

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 19:54:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007 15:46:43 Warren Togami wrote:
> During the last FESCO meeting there was (reluctant?) agreement that
> splitting libperl.so from perl would be a better solution to workaround
> our broken multilib policy than to split perl sub-packages out of
> everything that breaks due to perl.i386 being removed from F7 x86-64.
>
> Is this going to happen?

Ok, this is my huge mistake.  Here is what happened.

In FC6, perl was multilib because gaim brought it in during tree builds.  Gaim
being multilib.

Recently, gaim went away and pidgin showed up in Extras.  All of a sudden,
nothing brought in perl to be multilib.  I mistakenly assumed that perl had
never been multilib and things were just noticing.  We had big discussions
around perl/gaim and multilib around FC6 release time and I forgot the
outcome, and I simply was an idiot and didn't look at the FC6 tree, which
clearly shows perl was multilib.

To resolve this, I have added perl to a "whitelist" to force it to be multilib
again, since pidgin isn't in core to pull it in.  This will resolve all these
broken deps for Fedora 7, without making further drastic changes to the perl
package.

Perl should once again be multilib with tonight's rawhide.

This problem wouldn't have come up had we already been merged, since pidgin
would be available during the compose, depsolved, and brought in the perl
multilib.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora