[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Apr 25 10:50:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 09:56 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 10:52 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > The idea it to never let the i386 and x86_64 world collide
> > anymore. Different pkgconfigs in different paths (even iof making
> > pkgconfig multilib would be trivial, we want all part of the toolset
> > to become "multilib", so we go a level higher and solve it for all
> > simultaneously).
>
> I'm sure I've seen packages trying to invoke powerpc-linux-gnu-pkgconfig
> and powerpc64-linux-gnu-pkgconfig before falling back to just pkgconfig.
>
> Can we rely on that?
Nope,
1. This is "per-arch canonicalisation". It is not related to multilibs
at all.

In general, multilibs exist "below/within one arch" forming hierarchies
of "compatible libs", not "next/neighboring".

It's just a random coincidence/peculiarity/special case that i386 and
x86_64 are "neighboring".

2. Last time I tried this approach, there were other bugs in pkg-config
preventing this from being functional. I'd have to check if this still
applies.

Also, the per-arch wrapper approach (write a script wrapper
around /usr/bin/pkg-config to process options is unreliable because
pkg-config doesn't process args correctly.

Ralf