[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 14:03:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:46:12PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I'm doing an install with anaconda modified to set %_prefer_color to 1
> on ppc64, so that we prefer 32-bit. I expect it to work fine except
> for /sbin/ldconfig, which is about the only case where we _do_ want
> 64-bit.

/sbin/ldconfig doesn't care, 32-bit ldconfig on ppc can handle 64-bit
libraries and vice versa, even on i?86 32-bit ldconfig it can handle x86_64 and
ia64.

> We could perhaps contrive ways to indicate to RPM that we want a certain
> flavour of binary to be preferred when both are installed simultanously
> -- but I can't see any way to do it which isn't going to be ugly, and
> really it's none of RPM's business -- it's the job of yum or the user,
> or whatever/whoever _calls_ RPM to make decisions about what should be
> installed.

But RPM packages can contain hints for yum and other utilities on top of
rpm.  IMHO that's better than keeping the info in some on the side metadata.

	Jakub