[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:53:25 UTC 2007

Just a thought as I've been following this thread.  I've been working on
getting yum-presto to work on my wife's x86_64 system, and the whole
multi-lib problem really comes into focus.  Evolution, gtk2, gtk2-devel
and numerous other packages have both x86_64 and i386 versions installed
on her system.

When trying to use yum-presto to update these packages, rebuilding the
rpm from the deltarpm will fail for i386 because rpm only
installs /usr/bin/* from the x86_64 package (which is what it's supposed
to do).  That means I end up downloading one deltarpm and one full rpm
for these packages rather than two deltarpms.

All that to say that if we're not too worried about deltarpms and F8,
it's not really a problem, but if we are wanting to use it, we really
need to work away from using file-colors in rpm.

Jonathan