[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 25 21:03:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 19:45 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> > > Another way of avoiding this issue, however, would be to have
> > > normal conflicts in (/usr)/(s)bin. All the multilib enabled packages
> > > would have to do subpackages without conflicting files and only those
> > > subpackaged could be multilib parallel installable. This is another way
> > > to solve the issue.

You're talking about bug #235757, which is just one dependency of the
multilib tracker bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=multilib

> > Yes, but it does involve much more work to do.

Packaging is hard. Let's go shopping.

> It is something worth doing IMHO.

Absolutely.

> > And if we assume that
> > every package is in principle candidate for multilib, we would end
> > with a guidelines to have all packages using bindir to split off
> > subpackages. The setting _bindir=/usr/bin64 would already fix the
> > majority of packages w/o having to touhc the specfile.

Yep. That seems to be the best, cleanest, fix.

It helps a little bit if we fix RPM to actually make the _right_
decision when it's forced to choose between conflicting files
(http://david.woodhou.se/rpm-4.4.2-prefer-elf32.patch), but really, RPM
shouldn't be making those decisions. It should just be installing what
it's told to, and it shouldn't be told to install stuff which conflicts.

--
dwmw2