[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Apr 26 09:33:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:21 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> It's called multiarch, not multibin.
>
> And that was the main problem with multilib and shortcut solutions:
> multilib was the shortcut solution, and implied all the pain of the
> last years.

Not _all_ of the pain. A lot of the pain came from making stupid
short-term decisions, like the filecolour hack in RPM which we're
currently referring to. There was never any need for that, except
perhaps as a short-term hack.

Multilib _really_ doesn't need to be as painful as it has been in the
past, if we start thinking about it a little more coherently.

> Ditch multilib for good, go multiarch and forget about rpm special
> handling, punched install/remove holes (that are firmly embedded in
> the multilib design) and all the multilib pain.

'punched install/remove holes'?

> It sounds like more changes/work than it actually is.

I'm listening.... be specific. How does it work?

--
dwmw2