[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 26 17:13:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 03:12:17PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 13:50 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Apparently you haven't understood what multilibs are.
> >
> > Obviously your personal definition of multilib includes
> > cross-compiling for x86_64 on i386.
> Yes, because THIS is multilib'ing.
>
> >  But we call multilib something else here, please adjust.
>
> The concept of multilibs as being defined by GCC exists for than a
> decade (More precisely: <= 1995).
>
> What you are naming multilibs is mixing architectures at run-time.
> The correct term for this would be multi-arch'ing or bi-arch'ing as far
> as the ix86 family is concerned.
>
> Multilibs can be applied to implement multi-arch'ing, but actually
> multi-arching isn't tied to multilibs at all.

OK, so we agree, we have a different definition of multilib than you
do. since all on this list use multilib in the "mixing arch" version
of the definition, please adjust, otherwise you only confuse us. :)

I'm sure both you and we understand both uses of multilib. And even if
you don't agree to our usage maybe you can comment more on the
technical parts than whether the given name is appropriate or not.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net