[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 05:28:09 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
> > What actually doesn't work? Does Firefox will not start at all w/o
> > them? No, it starts. If you will need some your favorite locale you
> > may install it later.
>
> And how do you know what's available? How do you know that you need
> it? You've just made every firefox user in non-english have to go
> digging through comps to find firefox-langpack-<blah>; it's a horrible
> user experience.

I might add that in the case of Firefox you're talking about
12MB of on-disk space. That's three-tenths of a cent of hard
drive space. 14 cents of flash storage. Six *hundreths* of a
cent of DVD-R space.

Not every place has the same prices, but, really - Fedora is
not intended to be an embedded distribution, or specifically
targeted at very small machines.

Another example - kde-i18n contains translations for all
KDE software. So, even if you're trying to install just
a subset of KDE (kdebase? kdemultimedia), if you want to
install translations, you have to install the translations
for ktuberling or korn. With this, it's no shock that the KDE
live CD can't  support a variety of locales at the moment.

For another example, moodle currently creates *68*
language packs, totalling about 14MB in size. In order to support
these 68 separate subpackages, any user who merely accesses
a repository containing moodle, *even if they've never installed
it*, has to download and process  16k more of data every time yum
accesses the repository (not even counting the comps data). Whether
that makes a difference in the grand scheme of things, I don't
know.

Bill