[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 05:34:48 UTC 2007

Peter Lemenkov (lemenkov at gmail.com) said:
> >And how do you know what's available?
>
> Take a look at graphical frontends for Yum :)
> Seriously speaking - in the same manner to OpenOffice.org

I'm not saying OO.o is any *less* broken.

> >How do you know that you need it?
>
> Kinda phylosophy?
> If anyone doesn't know why he need <something> I have no idea too )

You're a user who just installed firefox, or openoffice. Why
would it make sense for you to go back into the package manager
and select something else (not in the group with the package you
just installed) just so your new app is localised in the same
manner that your desktop already is, rather than having it just
work for you?

If you really want to perpetuate this mess, first write the
yum plugin that automatically applies langsupport conditionals
on package installs if a particular langsupport group is already
installed.

> >You've just made every firefox user in non-english have to go
> >digging through comps to find firefox-langpack-<blah>; it's a horrible
> >user experience.
>
> You are grossly overestimating needed efforts.

It adds effort where there currently is no effort, for negligible
benefit.

> Don't speak about us, fellow users, as of idiots.

I fail to see where I did that.

Bill