[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Apr 27 07:34:14 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 26 avril 2007 21:30, Axel Thimm a écrit :

> As such the punchhole remove/install problem is an embedded issue of
> the multilib design (TM).

Actually if you want to go to the core issue, that's that no one ever
decided what a rpm package was :
A is it a container with invariant mandatory content?
B is it a container with mixed mandatory and semi-optional content,
that may be installed or not depending on system settings, various
euristics and the phase of the moon?

If the answer is A, puncholes are unacceptable, langpacks must be
split... and yum taught smarts to reassemble all the resulting
subpackages because raw access will overwhelm users. (dumb packages
smart package manager option)

If the answer is B loads of smarts must be added to rpm so all the
optionnal stuff actually works without side effects. Also that means
fat packages and big downloads. (smart packages dumb package manager
option)

Either way is loads of work because we let out tools bitrot for years,
and now we find the workaround pile is not up to the new multi-arch
multi-repo world.

I personnaly think A is the cleaner design, but that's up to the tool
writers to decide (Paul Nasrat, Seith Vidal...). Likewise yum
effectively deprecated parallel rpm installs and rpm relocation a few
years ago.

--
Nicolas Mailhot