[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Apr 27 07:39:06 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> writes:

>> I think that it would be reasonable to split firefox into main
>> application package and many language packs.
>
> On my system right now, /usr/share/locale takes up 373MB, dwarfing
> whatever Firefox uses.

Probably caused by the removal of %_install_lang support in anaconda. Setting

| %_install_langs         C:de:en:es:fr

gives

| # du -sbh usr/share/locale/ usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.3/extensions usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.10/extensions
| 18M     usr/share/locale/
| 13M     usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.3/extensions
| 12M     usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.10/extensions

on a FC6.92 based small Gnome installation

> Splitting out Firefox's langpacks won't solve your problem.

Separate langpacks make it possible to install support for new
languages. %lang requires package removal plus reinstallation; this
was given as an argument against the %_install_lang feature in
anaconda too.

Enrico