[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 13:27:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 09:06 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 27.04.2007 08:25, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Christopher Aillon wrote:
> > [...]
> > May I suggest however that a much better solution would be to use %lang XXX int
> > he %files list for the langpacks, that way if Peter indeed is using
> > %_install_langs, then he will automatically use the lnagpacks to without all
> > the downsides of using seperate langpack sub packages
>
> Just playing devils advocate: downloads are bigger if all the langpacks
> are in the main package.
>
> Anyway, that's a problem presto might solve soon.

Of course, if you use %_install_langs, then deltarpms won't work as
there are bits which aren't installed on your system and thus you can't
recreate the pristine package.

> But we have langpacks in openoffice and kde as well as dictionaries
> (aspell, hunspell,...). Maybe we should work towards a proper solution
> so yum/pirut installs the langpacks and dictionaries automatically where
> it makes sense. Then big langpacks could be split off in other apps as
> well (e.g. firefox and thunderbird).

All of the sort of "conditional" stuff in the package managers are
horrendous, awful hacks.  Fundamentally and by design, it _cannot_ work
nicely.  There are just too many avenues of doing things which can
confuse it or make the "correct" thing unclear.

To be honest, I'd love to take every single one of the language support
groups out of comps and in the process, end massive amounts of pain

Jeremy