[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Apr 27 17:34:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:42:20 +0200 "Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski" wrote:

> You're talking multiarch again. We don't want to have both 32bit
> and 64bit binaries installed! I know diskspace is cheap, but the user
> doesn't need two binaries for each application.
>
> You install either 32bit or 64bit version and use that. Why switch
> at all?

Sometimes folks *do* want both.

And who are you to dictate that everyone else must install just one or
just the other globally?  What if, on a multi-user system, USER_A wants
firefox.i386 and USER_B wants firefox.x86_64 ?  There are no technical
reasons why it can't be done so why try to impose some artificial (and
IMO self-defeating) barriers?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/