[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 27 18:29:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:14:35PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > # yum install mplayer.i386
> > file /usr/bin/mplayer from mplayer.i386 conflicts with file /usr/bin/mplayer from installed mplayer.x86_64
> > <rant>
> > # yum remove mplayer
> > mplayer is needed by ...
> > <rant, rant, rant>
> > # rpm -e --nodeps mplayer
> > # yum install mplayer.i386
> > <wait, wait, wait>
> > # mplayer foo
> > <hm, mplayer.i386 cannot play it either, or I just want my x86_64 version back>
> > # yum install mplayer.x86_64
> > file /usr/bin/mplayer from mplayer.x86_64 conflicts with file /usr/bin/mplayer from installed mplayer.i386
> > <argh, slamming keyboard against the display>
> > # rpm -e --nodeps mplayer.x86_64; yum install mplayer
> > Sorry, you are offline, please try later
> > <throwing the laptop off the plane>
>
> Currently it's no better.

But we're trying to improve things, and while now using mplayer.i386
is not defined at all in the "unwritten multilib specification for
FC2-F7", if you do say that with the bin sub-sub-packaging method it
does work you hit the above usability problem.

> Assume we have 64bit mplayer installed.
> $ mplayer foo
> doesn't work, needs 32bit binary blob codecs
> # yum install mplayer.i386
> $ mplayer foo
> still doesn't work! aargh, why? oh, wait, rpm just ignored the 32bit binary
> even though there's a file conflict!
> <throwing laptop off the plane>

Yes, the current and proposed bin sub-subpackaging solutions both make
you throw the laptop out of the window, so let's go for a solution
where the laptop stays on board, e.g. bin64.

> > The better solution:
> >
> > # yum install mplayer.i386
> > # goi386 mplayer foo
> > <hm, mplayer.i386 cannot play it either, or I just want my x86_64 version back>
>
> s,goi386,chroot /emul,
>
> and we have Gentoo or Debian's pure64 solution. It's not a better solution,
> it's a different solution. Heck, it solves a different problem!

How is it different? They want to run i386 on x86_64 and have a clean
separation.

> > <OK, that was smooth, now I have time for solving the world hunger problem>
>
> You don't need bin64 for that.

I agree, it was a joke.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net