[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Sun Apr 29 17:18:39 UTC 2007

On Saturday, 28 April 2007 at 13:22, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:42:03PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > You're trying to solve a different problem.
>
> The main issue is that while FC1.92 started by allowing selected libs
> form i386 to coexist to assist in installing i386 packages for not yet
> available x86_64 counterparts, it has evolved to more and more libs,
> even for stuff that none will really be interested to install the i386
> part of, and even for developing i386 on x86_64.
>
> So the problem domain slovly changes and multilib is not adequate to
> serve the needs. We either need to admit that and reduce the specs to
> what multilib can do on paper and also fix the issues in
> implementation, or find a better solution that serves the changed
> demand.
>
> That's what this is all about, and given the bad history of multilib
> support in rpm, a solution that does not involve any fiddling with
> rpm, yum, anaconda, smart, apt, ... is preferred.

rpm needs fixing not to allow conflicting files in {,/usr}/{,s}bin be
installed. Current multilib allows you to run 32bit apps, for example
googe-earth as well as develop/debug other 32bit software. That's good
enough for me and I suspect for many people as well. Now if only yum
wouldn't try to install both package.i386 and package.x86_64 when I try
yum install package and if there were no problems with shared files
between 32/64bit packages, all would be well.

> > > How is it different? They want to run i386 on x86_64 and have a clean
> > > separation.
> >
> > But we never allowed that! Except for broken packages which keep binaries
> > outside /bin directories. That's a major change of functionality, hence
> > my saying that's a different problem.
>
> OK, I understand. Still that's probably what we want at the end.

You see, that's what I'm not convinced of. So far only two people expressed
support for this: Ed and you. I think that's something the FESCo should vote
on.

Regards,
R.

--