[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Sun Apr 29 18:43:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:17:26 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> There could also be
>
> 3) No one gets /bin, /lib directly, everything gets bult into
>    bin32/bin64 etc. and bin and lib are set as follows (symlinks)
>
>    i386: bin -> bin32, lib -> lib32
>    x86_64: bin -> bin64, lib -> lib64
>    ppc: bin -> bin32, lib -> lib32
>
>    That would give you proper symmetry, reusable packages from one
>    arch onto another (e.g. not packaging extra i386 packages for
>    x86_64), and bin/lib would always point to the native components.

Another type of thing that worries me with this schema:
$ rpm -qf /bin/ls
file /bin/ls is not owned by any package

In short: you are throwing a whole lot of typical assumptions
about a Unix/Linux system out the window... and my gut feeling is that
they'll come back haunting us in various unpleasant ways for a long
time.