Koji cannot build openldap

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 08:00:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 03:49:56AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wasted several unexpected hours tonight patching mysql for this, and
> I am now afraid to recompile any of my other packages :-(.  This sort of
> hacking may be legal by a narrow reading of the specification, but that
> doesn't make it a good idea.

It is certainly a good idea, just eyeball fedora-devel-list from yesterday
and you'll see it already discovered one real bug (in kst), for approx.
2 days in the build system.  We haven't done any mass rebuild, I guess such
a common mistake (not passing 3 arguments to open when O_CREAT is used)
is present in dozens if not hundreds places all around the distribution.

Being able to define standard system functions as function-like macro
is something glibc and other C libraries are using for years for various
functions and packages have always been able to cope with it.
Just open has not been among them so far.

> > Patching the DB would result in >500 changed lines and I am bit
> > skeptical about upstream accepting such patch
>
> That's not going to happen for me, either, which means that this
> "improvement" will represent a permanent maintenance headache and
> incompatibility with the rest of the world.

This change is not Fedora specific, it is a change made in upstream
glibc.  So if upstream mysql doesn't want to bother, it will simply
not build on Linux since various other distros start using new glibc
release (which will be released approx. in the fall).

	Jakub